Private Instructor of In-Home Lessons, 2011-Present
Maddison instructs private in-home lessons for guitar, bass, ukulele, voice, songwriting, music theory, and performance.
- Develops individual curriculum for each student.
- Assists students in procuring affordable, quality instruments.
- Provides instructional materials including method books, sheet music, exercises, and individualized notes.
- Creates opportunities for public performance. Advanced students may be invited to be featured performers at Maddison’s shows.
Music Instructor for Drum & Strum Music Center, 2015-October 2018
Maddison instructed guitar, voice, songwriting, and performance at Drum & Strum Music Center.
- Welcomed and instructed students of all ages – children and adults.
- Specialized in the instruction and mentorship of singer-songwriters.
- Organized extra-curricular opportunities such as annual student recitals, the Girls Rock Slumber Party, the Summer Library Tour, and the Drum & Strum School of Music Showcase.
Music Instructor for Hearthstone School, 2017-2018
Developed a rigorous middle school music curriculum comprised of the following: music theory and notation, composition, independent instrumental study, ear-training and listening, repertoire expansion and music appreciation, and performance.
- Composed and performed original music for Hearthstone’s original play A Flood of Kindness, adapted from the book of the same title and written in collaboration with the author De’Ante Webster and illustrator Laurie Marshall.
“Our music teacher, Maddison Hicks did a stunning job of musical direction for last night’s Flood of Kindness play performance. Her enormous talent and gentle way of working with students is very apparent.” – Hearthstone School
Music Instructor for Belle Meade Montessori School, 2016-2018
- Instructed general music (music theory and recorders), choir, and band.
- Prepared three musical programs per year.
- Helped produce music for the spring theatrical productions. Footloose, 2017. Skitstory of the World, 2018.
Fine Arts Instructor for St. Luke’s School, 2011-2014
As Fine Arts Instructor of St. Luke’s School, Maddison was responsible for all of the music, drama, and art classes for students preschool through tenth grade.
- Organized a mobile art program for the preschool division known as Art Cart.
- Organized fall, winter, and spring program performances.
- Directed the annual theatrical productions. Assistant Director of Seussical, 2012. Director of Into the Woods, 2013. Director of Rinse the Blood Off My Toga, 2014.
- Directed handbell choirs for the middle and high school students.
- Developed and implemented a guitar program for elementary students.
- Managed the library during the 2013-2014 school year, including the fall and spring Scholastic Book Fairs.